The Directors of the Louvre (Barbier, Juge and Loos) called upon the consultant Gustave Eiffel who was already in Madagascar building a bridge in Ambanja city - in front of Nosy Be.
The project is about a 6 storeys structure, including a basement, a large ground floor and its 4 levels. The construction started in France in 1928 and has been shipped. Unfortunately, the ship sank and another expedition was due to arrive in Antananarivo at the end of 1928.
As for the construction, the brick building was demolished and the basement was thus added. Work of the basement lasted 4 months, the assembling of the Eiffel structure lasted one year and the hard works ended in August 1930.
The new store has been launched in February 1931 with the logo "Grands Magasins du Louvre of Paris - Barber, Juge & Loos". In 1936, the logo was changed to "Printemps de Madagascar" till 1960 when all the new French fashion and releases were present. In 1960, "Prisunic" settled down and opened its first shop in Antananarivo in the Eiffel building. In 1990, Champion replaced Prisunic till 2002. Since 2002, Shoprite has taken over the first floor and the basement.
From 1996 to 1998, the storage and apartment upper storeys have been converted into what it is now called Le Louvre. The 2009 renovation gets the building back its letters patent of nobility. It regains its basement and ground floor.
Nowadays Le Louvre numbers among luxury flagship hotels of Antananarivo and Madagascar.